Recipe by Lavender Lynn
This recipe is from Kerr Canning Book.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
When I made this recipe I cut it in half & then didn't actually go through with the canning process! Instead, I had 3 quarts (& a small amount more) & kept one of them, while giving the other 2 to friends of mine who also enjoy these kinds of pickles! What I had I took to a park-wide potluck & there was nothing left when we came home! Another time I'll definitely make the full batch & do the canning, 'cause the resulting pickles are ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! Reminded me of my mom & grandma! Thanks, much for posting the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my group mates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #31]
- 25 -30 medium cucumbers, sliced thin
- 8 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 5 cups apple cider vinegar
- 5 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cucumbers with salt in very large bowl.
- Let stand 3 hours.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, and spices in large kettle.
- Bring to a boil, but do not boil.
- Add cucumbers to eat, but do not boil.
- Pack loosely in canning jars while hot.
- Fill jars with liquid.
- Process for time recommended by current canning procedures.