Recipe by Brenda Hall
This is a very good recipe for sweet pickles.(I think) I have had very good luck with it in my first year for canning. Mine turned out good and crisp. When cutting cucumbers like sweet mixed pickles, I added a little bit of red bell pepper and also a little cauliflower to look like the bought ones. Also taste good too.
Top Review by Judy #52
These are very good, I made 10 quarts and added 3 tablespoons of pickling spices, and also a little cayenne pepper to taste I will use ths recipe again. Thanks Alot For Sharing Your Recipe.....
- 30 medium cucumbers
- 8 large onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 5 cups vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon alum
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle salt over prepared cucumbers and onions.
- Let set for 3 hours.
- Mix all other ingredients together and let come to a good boil.
- Drain vegetables and add to Vinegar mixture.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Put into prepared jars and seal.
- Put in hot water bath for 10 minutes.