Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a filling soup with great flavor, and a really good way to use up stale bread! I used beer bread in my soup, from a 'Zaar recipe, and it was delicious.
- 1⁄2 loaf stale bread, cubed
- 2 cups pinto beans
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for sauteing
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- Bake stale bread 10 minutes at 300 to give it a crunch.
- Heat up stock over medium flame. Add beans to boil.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion, pepper, and garlic in oil until the onion is golden and beginning to blacken.
- Stir the vegetables into the beans and stock. Add spices to taste. Let simmer for a few minutes.
- Stir in bread and let set to soak up some moisture.
- Before serving, you might want to add some extra water (because the bread will have sopped up most of the stock).