Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A wonderfully different dessert.
- 5 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup toasted and finely ground cashew nuts
- 10 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, simmer milk over low heat until reduced to 2 cups.
- Add sugar, butter and vanilla extract; stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks in mixing bowl.
- To egg yolks, gradually add milk mixture by spoonfuls, beating constantly.
- Stir well to avoid curdling.
- Add cashew nuts and continue cooking entire mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture has consistency of a paste.
- Set aside to cool to warm (remaining at spreading consistency).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating continuously.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper greased with butter and spread meringue on top.
- Bake until lightly browned and set.
- Spread filling evenly on top of meringue and roll into a log.
- Brush with butter and brown again in oven.
- Remove to rack and cool.
I FOLLOWED the recipe and it turned out the way it should-check out photo! Plus it tasted the way my grandma made it: creamy, fluffy, irresistible.
way too sweet, meringue didnt fluff up like it should, unable to roll it because it fell apart. The egg 'filling' was more like a sweet omelet...yet I followed the recipe very carefully & thoroughly. Sorry.