Recipe by Sydney Mike
The recipe for this special Spanish dessert was found on the internet & posted here for use in Zaar World Tour 5.
Top Review by wicked cook 46
Muy bueno. I did have a hard time with the sponge cracking when I rolled it then I remembered that in other rolled sponges I used to roll the hot sponge in the towel. Next time I will do that. I used Grand Marnier in the whipped cream and in the sponge instead of vanilla. Mine was cooked at about 10 minutes. Made for ZWT5 Spain/Portugal region for team Zaar Chow Hounds
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & lightly butter a 15"x8" baking pan or sheet. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper, then butter that well & dust lightly with 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks & 1/4 cup granulated sugar until thick & smooth.
- Stir in flour, cocoa & vanilla extract, blending well.
- In another bowl, whip egg whites until stiff, but not dry, then fold them into the yolk/flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared baking sheet & spread out evenly.
- Bake 15 minutes, then cool for 5 minutes before turning onto a cloth to cool.
- After another 10 minutes peel off the paper.
- Combine whipped cream, rum & superfine sugar, & adjust to taste.
- Spread this cream mixture over the cake & then roll the cake like a jellyroll, starting with the long edge.
- Sprinkle with remaining powdered sugar, before slicing into 3-inch long slices & serving.