Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a traditional Spanish recipe and what better time to make it than this Friday, Spain's National Day:)
- Put the milk, essence and cocoa in a pan and whisk, bring to boiling point.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl with 4 oz. castor suger and 1 tbsp. flour
- gradually whisk in the hot milk.
- Return to the pan and stir over low heat until the custard thickens.
- Put the eggs and the remaining castor sugar in a bowl and whisk over a pan of hot water until pale and thick, then whisk until cool.
- Fold in the self-raising flour.
- Pour mixture into lined tin and bake at 190C degrees for 15 min until risen and golden brown.
- Put a piece of greaseproof paper on the work surface and sprinkle with a little extra castor sugar.
- Turn the sponge into the sugared paper, trim edges, cover with another piece of paper.
- Roll up with paper inside from one of the long edges.
- Leave to cool.
- Unroll and spread with the cold filling, sprinkle the toasted almonds over the filling and roll up again.
- Decorate with whole almonds and sift icing sugar over the top.