Recipe by lazyme
In Brazil, a feijoada completa is a large, festive meal with at least one dish based on beans. This Brazilian Vegetable Feijoada is flavorful yet simple to prepare. From Vegetarian Times Low-Fat & Fast.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large leek, cut into 1/2-inch slices (white part only)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into 1/2-inch crescents
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 large tomatoes, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- cooked rice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil.
- Add pepper flakes, cumin, and thyme, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds.
- Add sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add leek and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in peppers and onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add rum and lime juice.
- Cook until sweet potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in tomato.
- Spray a small saucepan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add beans and cook until hot, about 3 minutes. (Add water a little at a time to prevent sticking.)
- To serve, pour beans in a casserole, serving bowl, or platter, and pour sweet potato mixture on top of beans.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- If serving over rice or other grain, form a ring around serving platter with rice or grain, pour beans into center of platter, and top with sweet potato mixture.
- Per Serving: 305 Calories; 10g Protein; 5g Fat; 54g Carbohydrates; 0 Cholesterol; 22mg Sodium; 12g Fiber.