Recipe by honeymustard
Top Review by realbirdlady
A colorful and nutritious vegetarian meal. And it tastes good, too. I particularly enjoyethe consistency - with so many peppers and other vegetables, this dish isn't as heavy as some which are mostly beans. I substitute freely amongst the peppers, sticking with sweet to medium hot, and trying to get several colors. The cooking time for the potatoes seems short, but in such thin slices they really will be tender at the end. I start with the minimum water I can, in a pot with a lid, so they are more steamed than boiled.
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced lengthwise, then cut into 1/4-inch, thick slices
- 3 leeks
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced lengthwise, into 1/2-inch, wide slices
- 3 yellow bell peppers, seeded and sliced lengthwise, into 1/2-inch, wide slices
- 3 medium yellow onions, seeded and sliced lengthwise, into 1/2-inch, wide slices
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch, thick slices
- 6 (16 ounce) cans black beans
- lime slice (to garnish)
- orange slice (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a little veggie broth or water and add dried red peppers or crushed red pepper flakes, cumin and thyme; lower heat and cook 1 minute.
- Add sweet potatoes; cook 5 minutes.
- Add leeks; cook 5 minutes more.
- Stir in bell peppers and onion, cook 5 minutes.
- Add lime juice, combine well and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add tomato slices.
- Coat saucepan with nonstick cooking spray; set over low heat.
- Add beans and cook, stirring, until hot, about 3 minutes; drain.
- Place beans in a casserole or serving bowl; add vegetables.
- Garnish with lime or orange slices, cilantro sprigs; serve at once.