Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe from Epicurious.com courtesy of Gourmet, December 2002...made this for dinner Sunday I followed these instructions to a T and boy oh boy this was fantastic served over basmati rice...I truly highly recommend this....
- 1 1⁄4 lbs large shrimp, in shell peeled and deveined (21 to 25 per lb)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 5 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup well-stirred canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon palm oil (dende oil)
- Toss shrimp with black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garlic, and lemon juice and marinate, covered and chilled, 20 minutes.
- Purée tomatoes with juice in a blender until smooth.
- Cook onion and bell pepper in olive oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add cayenne, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and remaining teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add tomato purée and simmer briskly, stirring, until mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and bring to a boil, then add shrimp mixture and cook, stirring, until shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in dendê oil and remaining 4 tablespoons cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- * Available at Brazilian and West African markets and Kalustyan's (800-352-3451).
- Makes 6 servings.
- December 2002.
Amazing. With a little TLC this recipe makes my friends go nuts!!
We had this the other night - served it over rice. We liked it, it was a little too "lemony" for me, but it was still tasty.
I am going to make this and I can transfer it to Morocco using some tomato concentrate and a bit of water in place of canned tomatoes. Also just an FYI, Palm/dende oil is available at Wild oats also. I will star this once I make it.Sounds YUMMMM!