Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Quick From Scratch Soups & Salads - Food & Wine. WINE: light, soft chenin blanc
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup long-grain rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups canned crushed tomatoes in puree (from one 15-ounce can)
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, shelled and cut in half horizontally
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the rice, red-pepper flakes, salt, tomatoes, and water to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until the rice is almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the coconut milk into the soup. Bring back to a simmer and then stir in the shrimp. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are just done, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the black pepper, lemon juice, and parsley.
5 stars for sure- my dh said "this is my favorite soup" and we eat a lot of soup! I didn't have quite 3/4 cup rice so I used 4 cups water instead of 5 but kept coconut milk the same. I also used fire roasted diced tomatoes instead of crushed and upped the crushed red pepper a little bit. So good, so easy, can't wait to make it again!