Recipe by jimshim
Excellent gumbo type stew from Brazil.
Top Review by camohn
Very tasty, the coconut was a nice touch. It gave a creamy texture without the actual cream. In fact since I liked it as is before I got to adding the milk ... I left the milk out. Especially as hubby isn't a huge Fan of creamed soups. I did it in the slow cooked after sweating veggies in pan first
- 1 lb clam, small, in shell
- 1 lb mussels, small, scrubbed &debearded
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, minced seeded
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups tomatoes, peeled & chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, grated, peeled
- 2 teaspoons orange rind, grated
- 3 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 2 tablespoons green onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 3 tablespoons coconuts, shredded
- 6 sprigs cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Place clams and mussels in a large bowl; cover with cold water. Sprinkle with cornmeal; let stand 30 minutes. Drain and rinse.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Add clams and mussels; cover and cook 6 minutes or until shells open. Discard any unopened shells. Remove clams and mussels from pan; set aside. Discard cooking liquid.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell peppers, jalapeno pepper, and garlic; saute 8 minutes. Add tomato, ginger, orange.
- rind, clam juice and tomato paste; coook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp; cook 5 minutes or until done. Remove from heat; stir in clams, mussels, green onions, and next 5 ingredients (green onions thru milk). Ladle soup into large.
- bowls; speinkle with coconut. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.