1/2 Photos of Brazilian Potato Salad Aka
*THIS IS AN ADOPTED RECIPE AS OF 16 AUGUST 2006.* Pronounced "mayonais-ie" this is one of my favorite food discoveries as a wife of a Brazilian. I have had this served to me at many Brasilian cook-outs, called "churrasco" in Brazil, and have had it in restaurants both in the U.S. and Brazil - This version comes from the kitchen of my wonderful mother-in-law, Dona Alvina. She uses canned corn, but the canned corn in Brazil is different (firmer?) that what I've found in the US, so I use frozen corn.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -6 medium white rose potatoes (fist-size, not russet) or 5 -6 medium red potatoes, boiled in their jackets, cooled, peeled and nicely diced in 1/2 inch cubes (fist-size, not russet)
- 1 medium apple, peeled cored and finely diced (I use Gala or Fuji)
- 1 cup carrot, cooked till tender but not mushy, diced into small cubes
- 1 cup frozen peas, lightly blanched and cooled
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- 1 cup mayonnaise, to taste (Best Foods or Hellman's, that's what they have in Brazil)
- 1/2 cup sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
- salt and pepper, to taste (sometimes, I use Lawry's salt)
- 1Adjust the proportions as you like.
- 2Toss to combine everything but mayonnaise.
- 3Fold in mayonnaise and correct the seasonings.
- 4Garnish with whole or sliced pimento-stuffed green olives.
- 5(Prep time assumes you have already boiled and cooled the potatoes and other vegetables).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brazilian Potato Salad Aka
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 211.8
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 6.1 mg
- Sodium 197.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pimento-stuffed green olives