Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was given to me by my best friend who lived in Brazil for a while. Its a great barbecue side dish or potluck dish. *Measurements are approximate and are to taste* I personally like more lemon than stated below. This salad is supposed to be a little tart.
- Cut potatoes in medium wedges and cook in salted water until done, but not smooshy soft.
- Put cooked potatoes into a bowl, while still hot, squeeze lemon over them (I'm estimating it at 1/2 to a whole lemon so add incrementally and taste); stir.
- Let cool.
- Meanwhile chop up celery and green onion.
- Once cooled add the mayonnaise,add celery and green onions, then shaved carrot stalk with a vegetable peeler, Stir until mixed but do not over stir or potatoes will become mushy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to let the flavors meld.
I made this to go with our Brazilian steak on the grill and we loved it! I used the lemon, and more than called for. It was so refreshing and the perfect choice to accompany our steak. Great side dish here!
I absolutely love the flavor of this potato salad. It adds tartness without mustard or vinegar. I used lime juice, the entire amount called for, and it was great. I think it is important to add the juice when the potatoes are still hot as recipe suggests, otherwise the juice won't fully absorb and the end result may seem more tart. Anyway, I've made it twice, using a mixture of fat free mayo and miracle whip, the second time omitting the celery, which I personally liked more. Thanks so much!
I really liked this potato salad. I followed sugarpea's suggestion and gradually added the lemon juice. I prefer a more subtle lemon flavor and ended up adding the juice of half a small lemon. Thanks for posting this recipe.