Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is a favorite of Andrew Zimmern, host of the TV show Bizarre Foods.
Make and share this Brazilian Moqueca recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 lb mussels (New Zealand Green Lip mussels or Mediterranean black mussels work best)
- 1 lb fish fillets (halibut, grouper, snapper or cod) or 1 lb fish steaks (halibut, grouper, snapper or cod)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus more for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 thai bird chilies or 1 habanero pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 4 tablespoons cilantro leaves, minced
- 2 cups fish stock
- Marinate the fish for 1 hour in half the lime juice. Pat dry and lightly brown over high heat in the oil in a large pot.
- Add the vegetables, herbs and spices. Saute briefly and, when glassy, add the tomato paste. Stir, and add the fish stock and bring to a boil.
- Remove the fish and let rest on a plate; continue to boil the stock. After stock has reduced by 1/3, add the coconut milk and simmer until soup has thickened.
- Add the shrimp and cover, cooking for a minute or so to cook shrimp through. Add the fish and mussels back to the pot, cook until mussels have opened.
- Season with salt and lime juice, swirl in the almond butter and serve.