Recipe by Chef Glaucia
This flan makes an impressive desert ! It is delicious, inexpensive and easy to make. You can leave out the coconut and parmesan if you desire and add some grated lemon peel ( about 1 tsp.)
Top Review by MrsK
Also a Brazilian, I will try this and rate afterwards. It actually sounds very interesting--not sure about the addition of vanilla though... My father was the biggest fan of "Pudim de Leite Condensado"--just sweet condensed milk, eggs and some milk--and I used to make for him frequently. Unlike a prior reviewer's comment, Brazilians actually do add either parmesan cheese or coconut (milk) to this concoction. I never tried both together and am willing to bet it will taste delicious. There is another desert a bit similar to this called "Queijadinha" (keyjahdiÃ±ah) or "Queijada" (keyjahdah). I will try to convert the recipe to American measurements and publish it. Thanks for a nice twist in a Brazilian desert, Glaucia. (Your name actually sounds Brazilian!)
- 1 cup sugar, caramelized
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut (I use Bob's Red Mill's unsweetened medium shredded coconut )
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat tube pan with caramelized sugar.
- Allow to harden.
- Blend all the other ingredients together and pour in mold.
- Place mold in pan with 2" hot water in preheated oven.
- Bake at 350°F for about 1 hour or 1 hour and 15 min until deep golden brown.
- Let cool, refrigerate overnight, then invert and unmold.