Prep 50 mins
Cook 9 hrs
For the slow cooker! Found in Cooking Light, March 2011 and posted for safekeeping.
Make and share this Brazilian Feijoada recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 4 slices apple-smoked bacon
- 1 lb boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 beef short ribs with bones
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 orange, cut into 8 wedges
- Quick-soak beans by boiling for 2 minutes, then letting sit, covered, for 1 hour. Drain, then add to slow cooker.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove from pan and crumble, leaving drippings in the pan.
- Season the pork with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Brown in the bacon drippings over medium high heat, then remove and add to the slow cooker.
- Season the ribs with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Brown in the bacon drippings over medium high heat, then remove and add to the slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add the onion, broth, garlic, ham hock, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine ingredients, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours, or until meat and beans are tender.
- Remove the ribs from the slow cooker and let sit for 15 minutes. Remove the meat from the bones, and shred. Discard bones.Discard the ham hock.
- Return the shredded beef to the slow cooker, along with the vinegar and crumbled bacon. Stir to combine, then serve with orange wedges to garnish.
This was an interesting recipe. It was great that we used a crock pot and it made it super moist. I actually thought this had too much meat, next time I believe I will skip the ribs. Made for ZWT 2011
This was OK. I did have to add lots of cumin, pepper flakes, some tomato sauce. Made for Zwt 2011 Thanks.