Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
When the weather starts to cool, it seems nothing comes out of our kitchen except soup! I've found several new recipes on the Bush Beans website that we're looking forward to trying; this is one.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh tomatoes, cored and diced
- 2 yellow plantains or 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans Bush's red beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb cooked and peeled shrimp
- Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepot over medium heat. Cook garlic, onion and peppers about 2 minutes. Add ginger; stir to coat vegetables evenly.
- Add tomato and plantain (or potato if using). Simmer 3 minutes.
- Add beans, corn, broth, coconut milk and whole or skim milk. Cover; return to simmer. Cook until vegetables soften, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in cream and return to simmer; cook 5 minutes more. (Do not boil.)
- Stir in cilantro, parsley, green onion and lime juice. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste. Serve hot or cold.
- Optional: If adding shrimp, divide evenly and ladle finished soup over top.
A friend gave me Bush's cookbook and the second recipe I tried was Brazilian Corn and Coconut Chowder. I used plaintains, ginger for sushi, and I did add shrimp. Fabulous flavors. My limes were very small and the lime flavor was just right, so taste before you put in the second lime if they are large.