When the weather starts to cool, it seems nothing comes out of our kitchen except soup! I've found several new recipes on the Bush Beans website that we're looking forward to trying; this is one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh tomatoes, cored and diced
- 2 yellow plantains or 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans Bush's red beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb cooked and peeled shrimp
- 1Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepot over medium heat. Cook garlic, onion and peppers about 2 minutes. Add ginger; stir to coat vegetables evenly.
- 2Add tomato and plantain (or potato if using). Simmer 3 minutes.
- 3Add beans, corn, broth, coconut milk and whole or skim milk. Cover; return to simmer. Cook until vegetables soften, about 20 minutes.
- 4Stir in cream and return to simmer; cook 5 minutes more. (Do not boil.)
- 5Stir in cilantro, parsley, green onion and lime juice. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste. Serve hot or cold.
- 6Optional: If adding shrimp, divide evenly and ladle finished soup over top.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brazilian Corn and Coconut Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (564 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.3
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 93.9 mg
- Sodium 910.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Bush's red beans