Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A strong tasting coffee custard. If you like coffee you will like this.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 inch piece vanilla bean
- 4 whole coffee beans
- 1⁄2 cup very strong coffee
- 5 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Set oven to 325°F.
- Combine the milk, vanilla bean and coffee beans in a sauce pan. Bring rapidly to a boil, then remove pan from heat.
- Stir in the strong coffee. Reserve.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks, then gradually blend in the sugar and cornstarch. Mix well.
- Strain the cooled milk, a little at a time, through a fine sieve lined with cheesecloth into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered baking dish or into individual ovenproof custard cups.
- Cover the baking dish, set in a pan of hot and bake until a knife inserted into the center of the custard comes out clean, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cool custard to room temperature, then chill until needed. Before serving, run a knife around the inside edge of the baking dish and invert custard onto a serving dish. Serves 4.
- Larousse Treasury of Country Cooking.