Karen in MA's Note:
from www.foodandwine.com Serve with steamed rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup gingerroot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups canned plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped (drained, juices reserved)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded, plus more
- unsweetened coconut, for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 3 cups chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- lemon wedge, for serving
- 1In a food processor, pulse the ginger with the garlic, jalapeños, lemon juice and paprika until finely chopped. Add the water and process to a paste.
- 2In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until shimmering.
- 3Add the onions and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 8 minutes.
- 4Add the ginger paste and cook until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
- 5Add half of the tomatoes along with the coconut milk, peanuts, 1/4 cup of the shredded coconut and 2 tablespoons of the cilantro and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 6Scrape the sauce into a food processor or blender and puree.
- 7Return the sauce to the saucepan. Add the stock and the remaining tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of cilantro and bring to a boil.
- 8Season with salt and pepper and simmer over moderate heat until reduced to 5 cups, about 20 minutes. Keep warm.
- 9Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering.
- 10Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sauté over moderately high heat until golden and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- 11Add the chicken; season with salt and pepper.
- 12Spoon into bowls and garnish with coconut and cilantro.
- 13Serve with steamed rice and lemon wedges.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brazilian Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (737 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 858.9
- Calories from Fat 491
- Total Fat 54.5 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 194.2 mg
- Sodium 979.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 60.1 g