Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
from www.foodandwine.com Serve with steamed rice.
Make and share this Brazilian Chicken Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup gingerroot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups canned plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped (drained, juices reserved)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup dry roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded, plus more
- unsweetened coconut, for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 3 cups chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- lemon wedge, for serving
- In a food processor, pulse the ginger with the garlic, jalapeños, lemon juice and paprika until finely chopped. Add the water and process to a paste.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until shimmering.
- Add the onions and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the ginger paste and cook until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add half of the tomatoes along with the coconut milk, peanuts, 1/4 cup of the shredded coconut and 2 tablespoons of the cilantro and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Scrape the sauce into a food processor or blender and puree.
- Return the sauce to the saucepan. Add the stock and the remaining tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of cilantro and bring to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer over moderate heat until reduced to 5 cups, about 20 minutes. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sauté over moderately high heat until golden and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken; season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with coconut and cilantro.
- Serve with steamed rice and lemon wedges.