Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Wonderful main dish 'salad' to be served cold, but it's wonderful eaten warm too. A good Mexican rice and fresh cilantro are musts. So easy - this is my favorite thing to eat for any meal! It would be good for a side dish (omitting the chicken in lieu of grilled chicken) or can be adapted for a vegetarian diet.
- 1 (8 ounce) packagemexican-style chicken rice pilaf mix (look for Goya, Vigo or other Mexican-style rice in the Spanish or Mexican food section of your groce)
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn, canned or frozen
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives, sliced lengthwise
- 4 cups cooked diced chicken meat or 1⁄2 roasting chicken
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced (or made into guacamole)
- sour cream (for garnishing)
- tortilla chips
- Prepare the rice according to package instructions.
- Add the black beans, corn, scallions, olives, chicken and cilantro into the rice and toss to combine.
- Transfer to a platter.
- Garnish with the avocado slices, salsa, sour cream and tortilla chips.
The whole family loved this dish! Thank you for such a great recipe. I agree that it would be better to cook the meat in some sort of seasonings for more flavor, but other than that I thought it was perfect.
Interesting blend of flavors and a very satisfying meal. Would recommend adding some garlic (or other spices to your preference) to cook the chicken in to add some flavor to the meat, since it didn't pick up much from the other ingredients.
I love this dish! It's filling and the blend of flavors is wonderful. I eat it with a dollop of sour cream and several dashes of Frank's Red Hot sauce on top. Mm-mmmm!