1 hr 5 mins
1994 2nd place winner, Build a Better Burger Contest; Ellen Burr, Truro, Massachusetts
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon pressed garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Black Bean Spread
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Prepare a med-hot fire in a charcoal grill or preheat gas grill to med-high.
- 2Make the marinade: combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
- 3Make the patties: combine the pork and cornmeal with half the marinade in a big bowl.
- 4Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well.
- 5Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts; form into patties to fit the rolls.
- 6Make the spread: combine the beans, oil, cilantro, and 2 tablespoons marinade in a small bowl; coarsely mash the beans with a fork; set aside.
- 7Combine the onion and remaining marinade in a small bowl; brush the pepper quarters with vegetable oil.
- 8When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil; place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 4-5 minutes per side for medium.
- 9Grill the peppers, turning several times, until soft and browned, 4-5 minutes on each side.
- 10During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lighlty.
- 11To assemble burgers: cover the cut sides of the roll bottoms with the bean spread.
- 12On each roll bottom, place a patty, a red and green pepper quarter, an orange slice, an equal portion of the marinated onions, and 1 ½ teaspoons of the cilantro.
- 13Add roll tops and serve.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brazilian Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (436 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 725.4
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 106.6 mg
- Sodium 1272.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 43.9 g