Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is adapted from Joy of Cooking to fit my my personal preferences (spicy and quick). It is not meant to be *authentic* feijoada. This tastes great with or without meat. In place of the sausage I've also used shredded cooked turkey or chicken and ground beef.
- 8 ounces hot sausage (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry (or white wine)
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- If using, brown meat in pan. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat oil over medium heat and add onion, peppers, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until tender.
- Add cumin, red pepper, and cardamom. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add beans, orange juice, wine, salt, and cooked meat, if using.
- Simmer uncovered 15 minutes or longer.
- Serve over rice.