This recipe is adapted from Joy of Cooking to fit my my personal preferences (spicy and quick). It is not meant to be *authentic* feijoada. This tastes great with or without meat. In place of the sausage I've also used shredded cooked turkey or chicken and ground beef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces hot sausage (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (or white wine)
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1If using, brown meat in pan. Drain and set aside.
- 2In the same pan, heat oil over medium heat and add onion, peppers, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until tender.
- 3Add cumin, red pepper, and cardamom. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- 4Add beans, orange juice, wine, salt, and cooked meat, if using.
- 5Simmer uncovered 15 minutes or longer.
- 6Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brazilian Black Beans (Quick)
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.3
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 590.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.7 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 14.9 g