1/2 Photos of Brazilian Black Bean Stew, Another Version - Slow Cooker
9 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Feijoada, a Portuguese pork, and bean stew, is considered by many Brazilians to be the country's national dish. When it's filled with savory flavors, and sweet citrus scents, how could anyone resist?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces dried black beans
- 8 cups water
- 2 large smoked ham hocks
- 4 cups chicken broth (previously reduced by 1/3 to make it stronger)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions (3 medium)
- 3 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (or enough to suite your taste)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- hot cooked rice (optional)
- 1Rinse and pick over the beans well.
- 2In a large saucepan combine beans and the water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or place beans in water in saucepan. Cover and let soak in a cool place overnight.) Drain and rinse beans. Place beans in a 4-quart slow cooker.
- 3To slow cooker add ham hocks, broth, onions, jalapeno peppers, garlic, orange peel, orange juice, and coffee.
- 4Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Transfer ham hocks to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, use two forks to pull ham away from bones into shreds. Discard bones and fat; return shredded ham to slow cooker. Stir in cilantro.
- 5If desired, serve stew over hot cooked rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brazilian Black Bean Stew, Another Version - Slow Cooker
Serving Size: 1 (470 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 189.3
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 384.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 12.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hocks