Recipe by Katha
Saw this on another recipe site. When I started this recipe I didn't read it all through.(like I should have) Found it missing some key items. This is what I came up with.
Top Review by PeachyLia
I've made many other black bean soups, but this has to be my favorite or at least very close to the top of the list! The orange, cumin, and garlic just blend together so wonderfully. Not the prettiest in appearance, but the flavor well makes up for that issue...
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped and divided
- 1 -2 carrot, diced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, more if you like it spicier
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, half of the garlic and carrots.
- Season with cumin.
- Cook stirring until onion and carrots are tender.
- Stir in remaining garlic and the red pepper.
- Continue cooking till tender.
- Add beans, water broth, and orange juice.
- Season with cayenne.
- Place 1/2 or more of mixture in blender or food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Return puree to pan.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve in bowls.
- Garnish with sour cream.
- Serves 6.