1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I had black bean soup at a restaurant for the very first time a few weeks ago and I loved it! I hope that this recipe is as good as what I had. I like this recipe because you can cook all of your veggies while you're cooking your beans. (Overnight soak time is not included in prep time)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried black beans, soaked overnight
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 10 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- black pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (optional)
- 1Soak beans overnight in plenty of water.
- 2Place the soaked beans in a Dutch oven with 4 cups of water.
- 3Bring to a boil,cover and simmer until tender -- about 1 1/4 hours.
- 4Heat olive oil in a medium sized skillet adding onions,1/2 of the garlic,cumin,salt and carrot,over medium heat just until carrot is tender.
- 5Add remaining garlic and bell pepper,saute until everything is very tender -- 10-15 minutes.
- 6Add the sauteed mixture to the beans,scraping every last morsel.
- 7Stir in orange juice,black pepper,cayenne and optional tomatoes.
- 8Puree all or some of the soup with an immersion blender or food processor.
- 9Simmer over very low heat for 10-15 minutes more.
- 10Serve topped with garnish.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brazilian Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 320.1
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 795.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 15.8 g