Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I had black bean soup at a restaurant for the very first time a few weeks ago and I loved it! I hope that this recipe is as good as what I had. I like this recipe because you can cook all of your veggies while you're cooking your beans. (Overnight soak time is not included in prep time)
- 2 cups dried black beans, soaked overnight
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 10 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- black pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (optional)
- sour cream
- Soak beans overnight in plenty of water.
- Place the soaked beans in a Dutch oven with 4 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil,cover and simmer until tender -- about 1 1/4 hours.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized skillet adding onions,1/2 of the garlic,cumin,salt and carrot,over medium heat just until carrot is tender.
- Add remaining garlic and bell pepper,saute until everything is very tender -- 10-15 minutes.
- Add the sauteed mixture to the beans,scraping every last morsel.
- Stir in orange juice,black pepper,cayenne and optional tomatoes.
- Puree all or some of the soup with an immersion blender or food processor.
- Simmer over very low heat for 10-15 minutes more.
- Serve topped with garnish.