Recipe by jerrilyn
I have served this recipe as soon as its cooked, as leftovers the next day, and even out of the freezer. It is extremely versatile - for brunch with tortillas, dinner with cornbread, or a soup and salad lunch. I always get tons of compliments. When I reheat, I re-season a bit and it also tends to thicken up over time. From one of the Moosewood cookbooks.
Top Review by fresprit45_7976317
I soak the beans over night & then add low fat/sodium chicken broth to the beans in a crock pot & cook on low. I saute the vegs as directed & add to the crock pot about 2 hrs before serving.
I do not add the orange juice until abhout 15 min before serving....also add a little grated orange zest & a tablespoon of brandy at that time. Gives it a kick.....have the condiments on the side for everyone to garnish themselves. Love this soup!
- 473.18 ml black beans
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 473.18 ml onions, chopped (about 1.5 large onions)
- 10 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 29.58 ml cumin
- 9.85-12.32 ml salt
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 354.88 ml orange juice
- black pepper
- 2 diced tomatoes (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- salsa (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans in plent of water for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight).
- Place the soaked beans in a kettle or dutch oven with 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until tender (about 1.25 hours).
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized skillet. Add chopped onion, 5 crushed cloves garlic, cumin, salt, and carrot.
- Saute over medium heat until the carrot is just tender. Add the rest of the crushed garlic and diced bell pepper. Saute until everything is very tender (10-15 mins). Add the sauteed mixture to the beans, scraping out every last morsel.
- Stir in orange juice, black pepper and cayenne to taste, and diced tomatoes (optional).
- Puree all or some of the soup in a blender and return to kettle. Simmer over very low heat 10-15 mins more. Serve topped with an artful arrangement of sour cream, cilantro and salsa.