- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, small dice
- 2 carrots, peeled and small dice
- 2 medium onions, peeled and small dice
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and small dice
- 1 lb lean stewing beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, Grated
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, with lid, heat oil over medium-high heat and saute celery, carrots, onions, garlic, and bell pepper. Cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring every now and then to make sure vegetables are not sticking.
- Add meat to vegetables and brown slightly. Add cumin, orange zest and tomatoes; stir and cover pot and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add black beans and simmer, uncovered, for 15-30 minutes more, until stew is nice and thick.
- Season to taste with pepper.