1/3 Photos of Brazilian Beer Chicken
Another recipe I found in Steven Raichlen's "The Barbecue Bible" and this is what he states about the recipe: "The United States isn’t the only place where beer and barbecue are inextricably interwoven. In Rio de Janeiro, I came across this savory grilled chicken, which owes its exceptional succulence to a two-day bath in beer. Try, if possible, to find a Brazilian beer if you can: Antarctica (a pilsener-style brew) will produce a mild-flavored chicken; Xingu Black Beer (a dark bitter stout) will produce a bird with a rich, malty flavor. Serve with Crazy Rice or Brazilian Black Beans with Bacon. Note: Time doesn't include the 6 - 48 hours for marinating.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the beer, oil, mustard, paprika, and pepper in a large nonreactive bowl and whisk thoroughly to blend. Stir in the onion, garlic, and bay leaves.
- 2Rinse the chicken pieces under cold running water, then drain and blot dry with paper towels. Add to the marinade in the bowl and turn to coat. Cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 6 hours or up to 2 days (the longer the better), turning the pieces occasionally.
- 3Preheat the grill, using the two-tiered method.
- 4When ready to cook, remove the chicken pieces from the marinade, reserving the marinade, and blot dry. Season the pieces generously with salt. Oil the grill grate and arrange the chicken, skin side down, on the grate over the hotter section of the grill and cook until the skin is golden brown and the meat is cooked through without any trace of red at the bone, 8 to 12 minutes per side. If you get flare-ups, move the chicken to the safety zone until the flames die down. During the first 10 minutes only, brush several times with the reserved marinade.
- 5Transfer the chicken pieces to serving plates and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brazilian Beer Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 566.5
- Calories from Fat 401
- Total Fat 44.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 88.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 22.8 g