Prep 30 mins
Cook 14 hrs
Recipe from Iara Bortolon.
- 1 lb dried kidney beans (black, pinto, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 slices raw bacon, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb sirloin (or any other raw meat(approximately 8-10 1-inch cubes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups white rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Beans (Soaking): Rinse and sort beans. Cook beans with water in the pressure cooker for 30-40 minutes (I like to soak overnight, then cook for several hours in a crock pot).
- Marinade: Combine all marinade ingredients. Marinade meat for an hour or two.
- Onion Mixture: In frying pan, add oil. Cook onion, garlic and meat cubes.
- After meat is cooked, reserve about 1/4 of mixture for the rice (reserving the large pieces of meat for the beans).
- Beans: Add bacon to pan with onion mixture.
- After bacon is cooked, add the cooked beans and some water until it is a little thick (I like to add all the frying pan ingredients to the crock pot and cook for several more hours).
- Rice: Bring water to boiling. Add rice, salt and reserved onion mixture. Simmer for 20 minutes.