Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Pure ambrosia. Tinted a beautiful, pale-green, this South American dessert is irresistible on a hot summer's day. And since avocado is a fruit, and not a vegetable, it makes perfect sense to use it in this way. Enjoy! Cooking time refers to the time it takes to chill.
- 3 large avocados
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or lime juice)
- 3⁄4 cup superfine sugar (more or less to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Peel, pit and roughly chop the avocado.
- An easy way to remove the pit: after halving the avocado, with a flick of the wrist, plunge a knife into the pit, then give a slight twist and remove.
- Place avocado flesh into a blender with the lemon or lime juice, and puree until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl, and with an electric mixer, gradually blend in the sugar-- slowly, slowly does it.
- Then add cream and salt (just a little salt at a time, tasting as you go, to avoid over-salting), and blend further until well mixed.
- Distribute mixture between 6 stemmed glasses and chill at least 4 hours in the fridge.
- (Freeze it if you wish, but it is nicer just chilled).
A dessert I liked but there were mixed feelings at the table. It also looked beautiful and it was creamy, it still has an avocado flavor but sweet. Thats when I got the idea to get the tequila and a creamy coconut liqueur out the cupboard and let people mix that into their glass to their own liking. They did and there was nothing left!
I didn't chill it! No time! Next time, I promise! But it was yummy yummy yummy yummy!!! well at least the avocados and cream were cold. I whipped the cream first and then folded in the rest and used organic fine sugar. Might put it in a shell next!
If you don't say what they are eating few will know it's avocado. Lovely smooth dessert but is did need a little perk so just before serving I added about 1/4 oz of Cointreau over top of each glass. Everyone enjoyed the dessert and most were surprised when I told them that it was avocado. I was surprised that the calorie count is as low as it is and even the fat count is not bad when compared to other rich desserts Thanks Daydream for a winner