Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Substitute crab or oysters for the Brazil nuts, if you wish. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh large mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 onion, peeled and minced
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs or 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup brazil nut (chopped or ground)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash mushrooms and remove stems; chop stems fine.
- Melt butter and cook onion and mushroom stems five minutes.
- Stir in bread crumbs and Brazil nuts and cook for an additional two minutes.
- Stir in seasonings, ketchup and lemon juice.
- Stuff mushroom caps with this mixture.
- Arrange on an oven-proof dish, garnish with narrow strips of bacon, and pour cream around them.
- Bake for 25 minutes and serve hot.