Recipe by mollypaul
Substitute crab or oysters for the Brazil nuts, if you wish. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh large mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 onion, peeled and minced
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs or 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup brazil nut (chopped or ground)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash mushrooms and remove stems; chop stems fine.
- Melt butter and cook onion and mushroom stems five minutes.
- Stir in bread crumbs and Brazil nuts and cook for an additional two minutes.
- Stir in seasonings, ketchup and lemon juice.
- Stuff mushroom caps with this mixture.
- Arrange on an oven-proof dish, garnish with narrow strips of bacon, and pour cream around them.
- Bake for 25 minutes and serve hot.