Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Really simple and classic tasting city ham.. Easy and only one pan!
- 1 fully cooked smoked ham, water added,in brine (shank portion preferred, butt portion acceptable.)
- 4 cans Sprite
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 1 lb dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey (more or less)
- 1⁄4 cup jam or 1⁄4 cup jelly, any flavor
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees, place a round rack in the bottom of a large, non reactive, dutch oven.
- Remove ham from package, rinse under cold water and place it face down on rack, pour sprite over ham, it should come about 1/3rd to ½ way up the side of the ham.
- Bring to a full boil.
- Cover pan and ham TIGHTLY with heavy duty aluminum foil.
- This is a tent and should not touch the ham.
- Place in oven and bake for 3 or 4 hours.
- Remove from oven, uncover and place ham face down on a large plate and remove rack.
- Raise the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Put the dutch oven over a medium/high heat and bring to a full rolling boil.
- Juice the oranges and add to the pan.
- Allow mixture to reduce to about 1/3rd of its original volume (maybe 20 minutes).
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add ½ the sugar, the honey and the jam.
- Whisk until well combined and continue to reduce until about the consistency of maple syrup.
- This is your glaze.
- Remove it from the pan, rinse the pan with hot water, replace rack in bottom of pan.
- While glaze is reducing remove skin and fat from ham and cut diamond pattern in the meat.
- Coat the ham with a generous layer of the glaze and remaining brown sugar.
- Place back on rack and bake in the 375 degree oven until brown sugar is melted and glaze shines.
- About 30-45 minutes.
- Remove from rack and place on a serving plate.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes before carving.