1/1 Photo of Brauoterta - Icelandic Style Sandwich Loaf: Shrimp
Sandwich loaves, or ‘bread cakes’ as they are called in Iceland, are an enduring presence at Icelandic celebrations where cakes are served. While the fillings have changed over the years and they don’t use half as much mayonnaise in them as once was the case, yet they continue to be a vehicle for cooks to display their talents with garnish, and are a savory palate cleanser in between nibbles of all the sweet cakes usually served at traditional birthday parties. See note at end of recipe regarding the bread that is used. Recipe is from icecook.blogspot.com. Posted for ZWT9.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise (Icelandic or Kewpie, see note)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, finely minced
- 1/2 lb small shrimp, cooked and shelled
- pepper, to taste
- 3 slices white bread (see note)
- sour cream (to garnish)
- mayonnaise (to garnish)
- shrimp, for garnish
- 1Mix the mayonnaise and sour cream until smooth and well-blended. Add the bell pepper, mashed eggs, and garlic powder. Mix well. Add the shrimp and stir to combine. Season to taste with black pepper.
- 2Place a layer of bread on the serving plate or tray and spread half the filling over it. Top with another slice of bread and spread the remaining filling. Top with the third slice of bread.
- 3Mix a small amount of mayonnaise and sour cream, then smooth a thin layer evenly over the loaf, both top and sides. Decorate to your liking with the garnish ingredients, which can include large shrimps, egg slices and vegetables, e.g. bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, chopped parsley.
- 4NOTE ON BREAD: The bread is basically a pan-baked loaf of white sandwich bread that has been sliced lengthwise. The crusts are removed, leaving between 4 and 6 long slices of bread. This is probably not available at the bakery, but you could buy or make a whole unsliced loaf and slice it yourself.
- 5NOTE ON MAYO: Icelandic mayo is not vinegary tart and also not as runny as American style mayo. Buy Icelandic, or a close approximation is Kewpie brand mayo, easily found in Oriental stores.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brauoterta - Icelandic Style Sandwich Loaf: Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.2
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 199.4 mg
- Sodium 697.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 11.4 g