Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A traditional Christmas cookie, but wonderful any time of year. Chilling time not included in preparation time. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Boil honey, sugar and butter together for five minutes; cool.
- Beat egg and add to water.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add sifted dry ingredients to honey mixture alternatively with egg/water mixture.
- Add nuts and citron last.
- Cover and chill at least overnight.
- If the dough is allowed to ripen in the refrigerator for several days before rolling out, the flavor and texture of the cookies are improved.
- Roll out to about 1/4-inch thickness and cut with fancy cookie cutters.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 15 or 20 minutes, depending on your oven (taking care not to scorch).
- Ice with colored icing or a sugar glaze.
- To make glaze, mix powdered sugar and water together to make it the consistency of thin cream.