Recipe by elliesstuff
This recipe is from Gail Ciampa of the Providence Journal. I've been making it for 2 years and its a family favorite. The taste sensation of biting through the cold horseradish sauce, the warm caramelized onions, the crisp garlicky brat and the toasted roll is pure heaven.
Top Review by Bert's Kitchen Witch
Outstanding! We loved this.I know we will have this again! I've always loved brats on a roll, with german mustard and saurkraut. This is now my favorite way to have them. Thanks Ellie, this one is a winner!
bratwursts on toasted rolls with caramelized onions and horseradish sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 bratwursts
- 6 good quality hot dog buns, lightly toasted
creamy horseradish sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup minced unpeeled granny smith apples or 1⁄4 cup other tart apple
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
Directions See How It's Made
- To caramelize onions, heat butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When melted and hot, add onion slices and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally, 10-15 minutes.
- Add sugar and cook until onions are deep golden brown, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes more.
- Remove onions from heat and set aside.
- Mix all horseradish sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Grill brats (I prefer to slice them partially through).
- Place in toasted buns, spread with (mustard) onions and then horseradish sauce.