Cook1 hr 20 mins
This sounds great, from Bon Appetit, Nov 2007.
Make and share this Bratwurst With Apples, Onion, and Sauerkraut recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon Wondra Flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups sauerkraut, rinsed, drained, squeezed dry (preferably fresh)
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 pound)
- 3 large golden delicious apples (peeled, cored, thinly sliced)
- 6 whole smoked bratwursts, pierced all over with skewer (about 1 pound)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, melted
- pumpernickel bread or whole grain bread
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 400°F.
- Place caraway seeds and fennel seeds in small resealable plastic bag. Crush seeds with mallet. Add flour and pepper to bag; shake to blend.
- Spread sauerkraut over bottom of 13x9x2-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle 1/3 of flour mixture over. Arrange onion slices over; sprinkle with half of remaining flour mixture, then lightly with salt. Spread half of apple slices over, then sprinkle with remaining flour mixture. Place bratwurst over apples, then arrange remaining apple slices around bratwurst. Tuck in bay leaves.
- Mix broth, vermouth, and ketchup in measuring cup. Pour broth mixture evenly over. Cover tightly with foil.
- Roast bratwurst 45 minutes. Uncover; brush with melted butter. Roast uncovered until edges of apples and sausages begin to brown, about 25 minutes longer. Serve with bread.