1/5 Photos of Bratwurst With Apples, Onion, and Sauerkraut
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
This sounds great, from Bon Appetit, Nov 2007.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon Wondra Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups sauerkraut, rinsed, drained, squeezed dry (preferably fresh)
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 pound)
- 3 large golden delicious apples (peeled, cored, thinly sliced)
- 6 whole smoked bratwursts, pierced all over with skewer (about 1 pound)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- pumpernickel bread or whole grain bread
- 1Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 400°F.
- 2Place caraway seeds and fennel seeds in small resealable plastic bag. Crush seeds with mallet. Add flour and pepper to bag; shake to blend.
- 3Spread sauerkraut over bottom of 13x9x2-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle 1/3 of flour mixture over. Arrange onion slices over; sprinkle with half of remaining flour mixture, then lightly with salt. Spread half of apple slices over, then sprinkle with remaining flour mixture. Place bratwurst over apples, then arrange remaining apple slices around bratwurst. Tuck in bay leaves.
- 4Mix broth, vermouth, and ketchup in measuring cup. Pour broth mixture evenly over. Cover tightly with foil.
- 5Roast bratwurst 45 minutes. Uncover; brush with melted butter. Roast uncovered until edges of apples and sausages begin to brown, about 25 minutes longer. Serve with bread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bratwurst With Apples, Onion, and Sauerkraut
Serving Size: 1 (370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.0
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 70.6 mg
- Sodium 1518.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 13.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: