Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
It seems that everyone has their own ideas of how to cook Bratwurst. I'm a "Sausageholic" & this has always worked for me. Everyone loves it & it is SOOOOOOO simple!!!
- 8 -10 bratwursts (NOT pre-cooked ones)
- 1⁄4 lb butter (NOT margarine...remember, this IS Wisconsin)
- 1 medium Spanish onion, sliced thick
- 3 (12 ounce) cans beer
- 1 (12 ounce) can water
- Place Brats, Butter & sliced onion in a decent size kettle.
- Pour in the Beer & the Water. (You can use only Beer -- just be sure the Brats are covered, completely).
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat & cover.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, but DO NOT remove cover until ready to grill!
- Get your grill ready & when it is ready, drain the Brats (reserving liquid) & put on the grill & cook until golden brown. (Place them back into the warm Beer & cover to keep them warm, if needed).
- Serve with or w/o a bun, with Kraut, chopped Onion &/or some Silver Springs Horseradish-style Brat mustard (NOT that bright yellow Stuff -- YUK) Be sure to have some extra ice cold brewski's to enjoy the Brats!
- This recipe can be adjusted either way, to fit your needs!
- You can also broil these if the weather won't permit grilling.
- These go VERY good with Recipe #305705 .