Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I didn't have any bratwurst links so I left it out, and this is still really good. I just added a couple more potatoes. I also used mozzarella cheese in place of the Swiss cheese. Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home Contest Winning Annual Recipes 2009 and JoAnn Hilliard of East Liverpool, Ohio.
- 1 lb bratwurst, fully cooked and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the bratwurst, potatoes, water, onion, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cabbage. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups milk.
- Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth.
- Gradually stir into soup.
- Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese until melted.