Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious and comforting. We usually double the recipe because it improves with age!
- 16 ounces bratwursts, casings removed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup beer
- 1 cup water or 1 cup stock
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, diced
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute the sausage for 10 minutes, or until browned and crumbled. Drain well and discard the fat.
- In a large pot over high heat, combine the browned sausage, potatoes, onion, beer and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the cabbage, return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for another 20 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups of the milk and heat slowly to just under a boil. (Note: Don't try to do this too fast, or the milk will burn on the bottom of the pot.).
- In a separate small bowl, mix the flour with the remaining milk, and add to the pot slowly, stirring constantly, so that the flour does not clump. (Note: Make sure you get out all the lumps because they will not cook out on their own.).
- When the mixture in the pot thickens, add the spices and cheese and stir off and on until the cheese has melted.
Excellant! I made the recipe as directed. Very filling and quite delicious.
Excellent, hearty, and comforting soup. Definitely a filling meal. I followed the recipe as written and wouldn't change a thing. The seasonings in the bratwurst combined with the sweetness from the cabbage and onions and the sour flavor from the beer along with the creamy milk and cheese was really wonderful.
Comfort food! Definitely worth ever one of the 5 stars. We have soup at least once a week in the winter months, and this will be on my rotation this winter! After browning the meat on the stove, I did the rest in a my crockpot. I used 1 cup beer and 1 can chicken broth. I thickened it with cornstarch rather than flour. The liquid to thickening ratio was just right for us. Delicious. A keeper! ZWT7 - Shady Ladies