- 16 ounces bratwursts, casings removed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup beer
- 1 cup water or 1 cup stock
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute the sausage for 10 minutes, or until browned and crumbled. Drain well and discard the fat.
- In a large pot over high heat, combine the browned sausage, potatoes, onion, beer and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the cabbage, return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for another 20 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups of the milk and heat slowly to just under a boil. (Note: Don't try to do this too fast, or the milk will burn on the bottom of the pot.).
- In a separate small bowl, mix the flour with the remaining milk, and add to the pot slowly, stirring constantly, so that the flour does not clump. (Note: Make sure you get out all the lumps because they will not cook out on their own.).
- When the mixture in the pot thickens, add the spices and cheese and stir off and on until the cheese has melted.