Recipe by Member #610488
Traditional German recipe from a family friend.
Top Review by HeatherN
This was delicious. I didn't make the full recipe, 4 brats, 1 12 oz bottle of beer, and the rest of the ingredients reduced accordingly. I used corn starch to thicken the sauce. Served with red cabbage and mashed potatoes, just like you told me to. :-D Next time I will make extra for leftovers. Thanks so much for a great dinner!
- 12 bratwursts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups beer
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bratwurst in a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Cook 3 mins; drain.
- Melt butter in a skillet; add bratwurst to brown. Remove to a warm plate.
- Pour off all except 2 Tbsp fat. Add onions; saute until tender. Return sausages to skillet. Add bay leaves, beer, salt and pepper.
- Cook slowly for 15 minutes Add more beer during cooking, if needed.
- Remove bratwurst to a warm platter. Mix flour with a little cold water; stir into hot liquid.
- Cook, stirring, until liquid is a thick sauce; remove bay leaves. Add parsley; pour over sausage. Serve with mashed potatoes and red cabbage.