1/4 Photos of Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Skillet
My mother used to make this all the time. It's a recipe that's been passed down the German side of my family for many generations, and we've all put our own spin on it over time. Feel free to add your own, too. Use a beer you like to drink, or leave out the sugar and use apple cider, if you prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Brown sausages and onion slices in oil in a wide skillet. The sausages do not need to be cooked through at this stage, you just want to get some color on them.
- 2Add sauerkraut, sugar, and beer. Stir as best you can around the sausages.
- 3Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat, and simmer until sausages are cooked through.
- 4Spread buns or rolls with mustard, and add a sausage and a bit of the sauerkraut and onion to each.
- 5This is great accompanied by the same beer you cooked with.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Skillet
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 458.7
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 55.9 mg
- Sodium 1398.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 15.9 g