Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Sauerkraut lovers, look no further for a tasty and easy fix!
Make and share this Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Sandwiches recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 fresh bratwursts
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, such as granny smith, cored and cut into small chunks
- 1 lb raw sauerkraut, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 6 large hot dog buns
- gourmet mustard (such as dijon or english)
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the butter, then the brats.
- Brown on all sides, then remove and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the onions and sauté until lightly browned, about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the apples and toss until lightly golden.
- Add the sauerkraut, brats and beer.
- Stir in the caraway, thyme and pepper along with the water.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the brats are cooked through and the sauerkraut is tender, about 30 minutes.
- If necessary, remove the lid and cook further to remove excess moisture.
- To serve, spread mustard in each roll.
- Add a brat and top with some sauerkraut.