Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Sauerkraut lovers, look no further for a tasty and easy fix!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 fresh bratwursts
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, such as granny smith, cored and cut into small chunks
- 1 lb raw sauerkraut, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 6 large hot dog buns
- gourmet mustard (such as dijon or english)
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the butter, then the brats.
- Brown on all sides, then remove and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the onions and sauté until lightly browned, about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the apples and toss until lightly golden.
- Add the sauerkraut, brats and beer.
- Stir in the caraway, thyme and pepper along with the water.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the brats are cooked through and the sauerkraut is tender, about 30 minutes.
- If necessary, remove the lid and cook further to remove excess moisture.
- To serve, spread mustard in each roll.
- Add a brat and top with some sauerkraut.
I had a bag of sauerkraut in the fridge that I needed to finish off and had just gotten some brats in a meat pack special from the grocery store. This recipe was just the ticket for something a little different. I used plain wheat bread, rather than hot dog buns as DH doesn't like 'hot dog buns' so I don't usually have them on hand...I always seem to throw all but one or two to the chickens. This was quick, easy and delicious, plus left me free to do something else while it simmered after throwing it together. Thank you for sharing!
This was the best sauerkraut I ever tasted, and deserves to be posted as a recipe on its own (if it isn't already). There are plenty of apple and cabbage recipes but I never thought to pair apple with sauerkraut. That and the onions and caraway tasted great. Because I once had a bitter experience (taste-wise:D) with German dark beer I substituted a more American-like (read blander) lager, Heineken. My brat was a Field Roast vegan brand sausage. It was a bit hot by itself but it flavored the sauerkraut nicely. Found some good whole wheat large hot dog buns too. Thanks very much Sackville!