Recipe by Sackville
Sauerkraut lovers, look no further for a tasty and easy fix!
Top Review by Cindy Lynn
I had a bag of sauerkraut in the fridge that I needed to finish off and had just gotten some brats in a meat pack special from the grocery store. This recipe was just the ticket for something a little different. I used plain wheat bread, rather than hot dog buns as DH doesn't like 'hot dog buns' so I don't usually have them on hand...I always seem to throw all but one or two to the chickens. This was quick, easy and delicious, plus left me free to do something else while it simmered after throwing it together. Thank you for sharing!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 fresh bratwursts
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, such as granny smith, cored and cut into small chunks
- 1 lb raw sauerkraut, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 6 large hot dog buns
- gourmet mustard (such as dijon or english)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the butter, then the brats.
- Brown on all sides, then remove and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the onions and sauté until lightly browned, about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the apples and toss until lightly golden.
- Add the sauerkraut, brats and beer.
- Stir in the caraway, thyme and pepper along with the water.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the brats are cooked through and the sauerkraut is tender, about 30 minutes.
- If necessary, remove the lid and cook further to remove excess moisture.
- To serve, spread mustard in each roll.
- Add a brat and top with some sauerkraut.