Sauerkraut lovers, look no further for a tasty and easy fix!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 fresh bratwursts
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, such as granny smith, cored and cut into small chunks
- 1 lb raw sauerkraut, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 6 large hot dog buns
- gourmet mustard (such as dijon or english)
- 1Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- 2Add the butter, then the brats.
- 3Brown on all sides, then remove and set aside.
- 4Reduce heat to medium.
- 5Add the onions and sauté until lightly browned, about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- 6Add the apples and toss until lightly golden.
- 7Add the sauerkraut, brats and beer.
- 8Stir in the caraway, thyme and pepper along with the water.
- 9Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the brats are cooked through and the sauerkraut is tender, about 30 minutes.
- 10If necessary, remove the lid and cook further to remove excess moisture.
- 11To serve, spread mustard in each roll.
- 12Add a brat and top with some sauerkraut.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (1980 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 487.3
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 67.9 mg
- Sodium 1442.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 17.1 g