Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is good used with Bavarian sauerkraut for a sweeter taste. Put in crock pot and forget about it. My mother made this first then passed the recipe to me. It originated from American Profile Magazine.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sauerkraut
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (1 lb) package kielbasa, cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces
- 4 -6 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch squares
- Preheat oven to 350°. I put mine in the crockpot.
- Drain and rinse sauerkraut in a colander.
- Mix with all the ingredients in a bowl and pour into large casserole dish (or put in crockpot) Cover and bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Or let cook in crockpot on low for several hours until potatoes are tender. I usually add 1 can of water and mix well. Add more water accordingly throughout the day.
- I let mine cook all day on low.
- You can also try substituting the brown sugar with applesauce and apple chunks (1/2 cup each) for color and texture.
- I also use the Bavarian kraut--this gives this dish a sweeter flavor--even my kids like it.
Not bad, but really needed some seasoning. I made as directed, using chicken bratwurst and apple rather than all the sugar, and threw in some baby carrots. Cooked in the oven for 1.5 hours and was done just right. Definitely would add some salt and pepper at the very least, maybe garlic salt?
Terrific recipe! Very easy and tasty. I used lowfat turkey kielbasa to cut some more fat. I used the crockpot method (and took your advice about adding water....I used chicken broth) and it worked out well. This was delicious sprinkled with some caraway seeds. Thanx for sharing!