Recipe by strawberryjane
This is good used with Bavarian sauerkraut for a sweeter taste. Put in crock pot and forget about it. My mother made this first then passed the recipe to me. It originated from American Profile Magazine.
Top Review by ybgr2
This is extremely tasty using Bavarian sauerkraut...but I was disappointed that it looked so pale. Next time I made it, I added chopped carrots. That added color, a little crunch and a extra layer of flavor.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sauerkraut
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (1 lb) package kielbasa, cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces
- 4 -6 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch squares
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°. I put mine in the crockpot.
- Drain and rinse sauerkraut in a colander.
- Mix with all the ingredients in a bowl and pour into large casserole dish (or put in crockpot) Cover and bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Or let cook in crockpot on low for several hours until potatoes are tender. I usually add 1 can of water and mix well. Add more water accordingly throughout the day.
- I let mine cook all day on low.
- You can also try substituting the brown sugar with applesauce and apple chunks (1/2 cup each) for color and texture.
- I also use the Bavarian kraut--this gives this dish a sweeter flavor--even my kids like it.