Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an amalgam of several recipes. The result is wonderful.
Make and share this Bratwurst and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- Bring a cup of water to a boil in a skillet that has a lid.
- Add the Brats.
- Don't pierce their skins.
- Simmer'til the water evaporates.
- Cut into 3/4 inch pieces.
- Heat olive oil in pan. Add Brats. When Brats are almost browned, add onions. Cook till they're translucent.
- Mix Ale and Mustard, add to skillet.
- Stir in Rice.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Cover, simmer 20 minutes.
- DON'T CHEAT! NO PEEKING!
- KEEP THE LID ON THE SKILLET, LET THE RICE COOK!
- Remove from heat, let rest 15 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Serve with a Baguette and a pint or two of ale.
4 stars because DH loved this dish and made special mention of the presence of mustard, which he loved, pervading the rice; I liked it alright, it's just too robust of a taste for me. On the technical side, no indication of what to do with onions, so added them around step 6, browning them with the sausage. My timing didn't measure up to the ideal of 40 min (more like 70 minutes), and even though I cut the ale a 1/2 cup back , my simmering time was 30 minutes (step 10). Easy to prepare, though, a fun-to-cook-with-ale kind of recipe.