Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
American Dietetic Association's Cooking Healthy Across America
- 1 lb apple-smoked bratwurst, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- cooking spray
- 1 cup medium barley
- 12 ounces beer
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4-1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Brown brats, onions and celery over medium heat, stirring occasionally about 5 - 7 minutes until sausage is browned and onions are golden.
- Spray 2-qt casserole dish. Put brats in it. Add in everything else except peppers and parsley. Stir well. Cover tightly and bake 30 minute.
- Uncover. Stir in peppers. Bake 15 minutes more. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
This dish was nice, but the beer did not cook off as much as I would have liked. It was very easy to put together and looked very nice though. My family just did not enjoy this. Thanks for letting me try something new- made for ZWT6- for the Xtra Hot Dishes.
Very nice dish. My sausage were a little spicy! I had a little too much liquid when this was done so next time I will cut back just a bit. Made for ZWT 6.
I did improvise - I used ground spicy Bratwurst - Couldn't find Apple smoked so I added a half apple to the ingredients- Left out the barley- - I cooked the whole thing stove top. I cooked the ground brat, Then removed it from the pan to paper towels, cleaned the pan to get rid of as much grease as possible and then proceeded adding the Onions, celery & Mushrooms to the pan, returned the ground bratwurst, added the beer (cut back to 1/2 cup) cooked 15 minutes then added the peppers for the last 5 minutes along with the parsley. Result Mmmmmmm This was super!