Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is one of those recipes that just grow as time passed. I don't remember where the I got the basic recipe and I surely don't remember all of the helpful hints from friends that caused it to metamorphose into what it is.I would wager that the changes haven't stopped.
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 bratwursts, cut into 1/4 inch roundels
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed, ground fresh
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano (not as sweet as mediteranian)
- 1 cup crouton (make your own, they're lightyears better)
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 bottle brown ale, if you like hops,pale ale
- salt fresh ground pepper
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, coursely chopped
- Heat Oil in a small pot. Saute (stir fry) Brats 'til med.brown
- Add Onions, saute 4 min.
- Add Garlic& seasoning, saute 'til onions are transparent.
- Add Crutons, stir 'til they've obsorbed all the juice.
- Add Water& Ale, bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 15 min.over low heat
- Add Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with Cilantro& Hard Boiled Eggs (Hot, buttered, Corn tortillas go incredibly well on the side, as does a pint of Brown Ale).