Recipe by silly sally
Smooth, creamy, and OMG so good! This recipe comes from Brattens which used to be located in Salt Lake City, Utah, years ago. It's been gone for years, but this clam chowder lives on. What a legacy! The restaurant gave me the recipe back in the middle 60's.
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 2 cups very finely diced potatoes (peeled)
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams, and juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup butter (not margarine)
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 quart half-and-half (cream)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the prepared vegetables in a saucepan.
- Drain juice from clams and pour over the vegetables.
- Add enough water to BARELY cover.
- Simmer, covered over medium heat till barely tender.
- (DO NOT overcook!).
- In the meantime, melt butter in another medium saucepan.
- Add flour.
- Blend and cook, stirring constantly; add the cream.
- Cook and stir with wire whip, until smooth and thick.
- It is important that you stir constantly while cooking.
- Add undrained vegetables, clams and vinegar.
- Heat through, but do not boil again.