Recipe by nmomsmemory
This is by far the best clam chowder recipe ever. My Mom used to make this and there was never any left for the next day. I use minced clams because I don't like the whole ones, but whole clams can be substituted easily.
Top Review by Queen uh Cuisine
This was wonderful !!!!! I used all of the bacon and fat free 1/2 and 1/2. I served this in a bread bowl and it was so delish!!! Thanks nmomsmemory for another memorable recipe. Made for PAC Spring '09
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 5 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans clams (minced or diced)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large 4 quart pan brown bacon, onion and celery until onion and celery are transparent.
- Add clam juice from both cans clams and diced potatoes to bacon mixture.
- Pour enough water to cover potatoes and boil until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate large sauce pan melt 2 cubes butter on low heat.
- When butter is melted, slowly add 3/4 cup flour stirring constantly.
- Add 1 quart half and half STIR WITH WIRE WHISK until thick and smooth (very important).
- Pour over undrained vegetable mixture add vinegar and heat through.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder to taste.